First of all, the insulation of the garage doors is, of course, a concern for your "four-wheeled friend." If a create good conditions for your car, it will last much longer. After all, a car can also “catch a cold” and “get sick” from a too cold or damp room. And like every patient, he will require treatment, which costs a lot of money. Therefore, it is cheaper to prevent a “disease” in advance and prevent its occurrence.
The garage can be used not only as a parking lot, but also as a warehouse of old things or even a place of a man’s personal space. There may be small workshop with a set of different tools for creating different useful things or repairs. And even just a relaxation room for spending your leisure time with friends. Therefore, you need to carefully consider the insulation of this room and the garage door, in particular. To keep it warm in winter and cool in summer, that is, to create the most comfortable conditions for being inside.
According to the laws of thermodynamics, heat will be transmitted through the garage door in two ways, which we will discuss below:
- First way - this is actually the surface of the flaps themselves (we are considering gates that are closed by flaps), by transferring heat from a warm body to a cold one. Cold refers to the external environment, and the surface of the gate is warm accordingly.
- Second way - This is a convention of warm and cold air that occurs by opening and closing the wings. In this case, a huge amount of heat is lost. In places of loose fit of the flaps to the wall opening, there is also a significant loss of warm air.
Therefore, the solution to these two problems minimizes heat loss and creates comfortable conditions for staying inside the garage at any time of the year. To solve this problem should be set reliable barrier between heat and cold or vice versa depending on the season. The construction norm of SNiP 21-02-99 says that in winter, for the optimal location of the car in the garage, you should maintain the temperature at +5 degrees Celsius. This will allow you to easily start the car and moisture will not condense in its internal cavities.
What is the best way to insulate a garage door?
For high-quality insulation of garage doors, the modern market for heat preservation materials will provide a wide field of choice. It is best to choose traditional insulation today, such as Styrofoam, extruded polystyrene foam and foil foamed polyethylene. These three heat-insulating materials will do their job perfectly. Below we will consider each option individually - the properties and the phased process of laying the heat insulator on the surface of the gate.
Some may wonder why it was not mentioned. mineral wool. Very simple, better not to use this material is for warming garage doors, although many do. Mineral wool has the ability to absorb moisture well. And since the garage is a place where regularly the humidity level will exceed the normal indicator, thereby contributing to its concentration in this insulation, which loses its properties from this.
Types of insulation
The market offers a lot of materials: both budget and more expensive. However, not all are suitable for the garage.
Well-known, and most importantly reliable, cheap, simple material. Extruded polystyrene foam is also in demand, but it is much more expensive. True, it is more durable and a plate 3 cm thick is able to replace a foam plate of 5 cm.
Controversial case. Some argue that it is enough to buy several cylinders of foam, of which it is easy to reliably fill the crate frame. And for half a century you can forget about the problem. Others are not so optimistic: in the open air in the conditions of vibration, which is present in the garage, it will not last even five years.
Perhaps this refers to polyurethane foam. She has all the necessary properties of a garage insulation:
- thermal conductivity level
- complete immunity to moisture,
- ease of installation: it is laid on the metal evenly, tightly, without the slightest gaps, becoming a monolith with a base.
Best recommendation: Elite sandwich panels fill polyurethane foam.
However, it is impossible to independently carry out the work: it is necessary to involve a master with special equipment. Therefore, the price for many is prohibitive.
A coating of 1 mm of this heat-insulating paint, according to instructions, replaces a layer of cotton insulation with five centimeters, that is, 50 times thicker. However, such an innovation is not cheap. It is usually applied with a roller or brush.
It is represented by several modifications with different contents: glass wool, slag, basalt and others.
- low thermal conductivity
- affordable price.
Minus: high hygroscopicity. Vata, regardless of the type, quickly absorbs moisture, crumbles, decreases in volume.
Use is possible subject to installation technology or in dry climates.
It must be carried out before insulating the garage door from the inside, since the metal, although reliable, requires certain conditions in order to stay so long.
The gate is a structure not designed for loads, therefore, super strong grades of steel are not used for their production. There are pluses to this: lower price and ease of working with such metal. However, the gate is strongly affected by the environment, so corrosion is inevitable. To prevent the metal from rusting in a couple of years, the simplest algorithm is used:
- The surface is carefully cleaned of old paint, rust and other debris. Instead of traditional emery paper or a manual brush for metal, you can work with a nozzle with a cor brush for metal.
- The stripped iron is degreased with acetone or another alcohol-containing solution.
- Primer. It is better to buy a special tool. The cheapest, but not the best way, is to paint with oil paint.
High-quality durable paints and varnishes are expensive, and knowledgeable people are advised to use any composition on a bitumen basis with a lack of funds. They are not particularly aesthetic, but this is not necessary, because the surface will subsequently not be visible.
So that the insulation of the garage doors is high-quality, and the insulation itself "sat" reliably, a frame of wooden bars or a thin metal profile is mounted. It is mounted internally on the stiffening ribs or the edge of the gate with metal screws or screws. 4-5 holes are drilled for self-tapping screws per meter.
The design of the cells is equal in thickness to the reinforcing cage or slightly larger, in length and width corresponds to the size of the insulation. Before starting work, the wood is thoroughly treated with an antiseptic and other protective compounds. A cheap reliable way is to impregnate with well-heated drying oil. It is imperative that fungus or the like not appear.
The lathing is also done if the final gate trim is planned, which is attached to it.
We insulate the gate
There are a lot of materials and ways to insulate a garage door with your own hands. They are selected depending on the climate, the financial capabilities of the owner, personal preferences.
The easiest and budget way. Required:
- polystyrene sheets
- glue (preferably “liquid nails”),
- polyurethane foam.
Gates of any design are reinforced with a pipe or corner with a thickness of 4 - 5 cm. Exactly under it, foam is selected. Sheets are cut and hardened to the base.
If the insulation of the garage door with foam is made with glue, the foam is placed tightly, without gaps. It must be pressed firmly to the surface until the glue completely dries.
When working with polyurethane foam, the order of work is different:
- A gap must be left between the sheets so that the tip of the mounting gun can go there, that is, about half a centimeter.
- Strips of foam are applied in any order in a uniform layer, and the foam is applied to the base in a few seconds.
- As the foam expands, every 15 to 20 minutes, you need to re-press the sheet to the base.
- When the sheet is firmly adhered, all the gaps are closed with the same mounting foam.
- Excess foam after hardening is cut off.
Polyfoam in itself is not intended to be a finishing material, therefore it is not particularly aesthetic. For beauty, you can use, for example, Isolon. This is a foil-coated foamed polyethylene with a thickness of half a centimeter. It is glued on polystyrene foam, as usual wallpaper. At the same time, thermal insulation is increasing. But this beauty is quite fragile.
Polyfoam plus lathing
A way for people who prefer to immediately solve the problem of how to insulate garage doors with foam thoroughly and aesthetically.
If the foam in thickness fits tightly into the crate, you can not stick it, but simply insert and process the joints with foam. If it is thinner, then it is necessary to glue so that it does not hang out. After that, if desired, sheathe some material, for example, lining.
The preparatory stage is the same as that of the foam: the metal surface is well cleaned. Using this insulation, one point should be taken into account. The metal has high thermal conductivity, so condensate forms inside the cotton layer.
A layer buffer between a metal and a cotton sheet can solve the problem. Painting, thin foil or polyethylene membranes is not enough. Ideal more voluminous foil isolon.
They glue the inner space, after which cotton mats are inserted into the crate. They are fixed on the sides with dowels and insulated with a film on top. Ordinary technical polyethylene, attached to the crate with a stapler, will do.
In order for cotton sheets to sit tightly in the crate, the size of wooden cells should be half a centimeter smaller than the sheet.
The top layer may be plywood or other similar material attached to the crate with self-tapping screws.
When choosing a gate, you should prefer a model with an ordinary door. This is a little more expensive compared to a solid canvas, but it pays off with energy saved for heating the garage.
Obviously, repeated opening of the overall leaf will take much more heat than a door that is much smaller in size.
It is unrealistic to ensure absolutely tight fit of the flaps around the entire perimeter of the opening. The materials used in the interior for windows or doors are initially not suitable. For garage doors - a solid metal structure - the corresponding accessories are made. A good solution is rubber hoses hollow or filled with foam rubber or other similar material. The sealant is sold together with the strip or, in its absence, is attached to the base with self-tapping screws using mounting plates. If the gaps are very large, rails are additionally used, and brush profiles are placed at the bottom.
An accessory familiar to customers of a car service, is available in several versions.
It operates on the principle of a fan heater, cutting off cold air directly at the inlet. However, both the unit itself and the electricity it consumes are expensive.
The same classic sliding curtain, only with water-repellent impregnation. It is mounted simply: a baguette is fixed above the gate or a metal string is pulled. It is easy to suspend curtains from tarpaulin on them.
It is made of vertically placed ribbons above the entrance. Thick technical polyethylene is cut into strips 10-15 cm wide. They are fixed with a stapler on a wooden rail with an overlap of one and a half centimeters. From above everything is pressed by the same rail for reliability.
Whatever the curtain, it should not reach the floor, but be a couple of centimeters shorter.
The interior design is not limited to the mentioned lining, plywood or isolon. The following options are no less popular:
- galvanized iron,
- chipboard plates,
- PVC panels.
They are attached to the crate with glue or screws, the joints are treated with silicone sealant. The surface can be primed or painted. When deciding how to sheathe a gate, one must take into account the main requirement for materials - incombustibility.
Insulating garage doors with your own hands is not so difficult. The materials available are different in price and quality. If everything is done correctly, it will be pleasant and safe for both the car and its owner.
Additional insulation of garage doors
There are several ways besides laying insulation, which will help to reduce the outflow of warm air, thereby creating comfortable indoor conditions.
- it ordinary curtains, but not like in the apartment, but from dense material that holds cold well and does not immediately let it into the room. It is very simple to build them - first pull a steel thread or a thin rope, and on it with the help of rings attached to a dense material, for example, tarpaulin, then you hook the canvas. This is useful for those who often open the gate or, due to circumstances, one leaf should be open.
- At the first stages of building a garage or installing a gate, many car owners do not take into account the fact that less heat is consumed through a small hole than if you open the gate fully or partially. That is, it’s better to build a small doorway at the gate, then you don’t need to open the entire garage to just take, for example, a tool such as a hammer for hammering nails. Therefore, when ordering a gate, ask for separate doors.
- You can additionally insulate the joints between the gate and the wall, as well as put the sills so that less heat escapes through the cracks. Good for this vinyl material appropriate thickness and size. Attach vinyl tape to the edges of the joints where cracks form with nails or mounting glue. This will create an additional barrier to heat loss.
Insulation of garage doors with foam
Polyfoam is the best option for insulation of garage doors, since it has excellent heat preservation qualities nor does it absorb moisture. Also, this material is quite easy to lay on the surface and very light, which is important for the total weight of the door leaves. At the same time, foam is the cheapest insulation material that is available to absolutely everyone.
Foam Stacking Steps
- At first process and thoroughly clean the inner iron surface of the door from rust and paint residues. Then paint them or waterproof them with bituminous mastic, you can also put polyethylene, but this is at your discretion. It is possible not to waterproof the gate at all, since the foam does not react to moisture at all and does not lose its properties.
- Second phase consists in creating a crate of wooden bars between which you will lay foam sheets cut to the required sizes. For this, strips with a size of 50 × 50 millimeters are suitable, depending on what thickness of the corners (sides) at the edges of the gate. Do the crate with a step of about 30-50 cm, decide for yourself based on your case, since the gate can have a different configuration.
- Then mount between the battens planks the foam panels themselves, previously cut into pieces of the required size. You can glue the material to the iron surface of the gate leaves using a mounting foam, which is also a good insulator, whether it is moisture or sound.Or use any convenient adhesive that is in the nearest hardware store.
- Final stage - This finish is another material. For example, with plywood sheets or plastic panels, which will create an additional layer to retain heat and give an aesthetic finished look.
Garage door insulation with extruded polystyrene foam
Creating a protective barrier against heat loss using extruded polystyrene foam is the best option, as it has several advantages. Unlike foam, this insulation material has good rigidity and the best physical indicators for maintaining heat indoors. If you purchase extruded polystyrene, as this insulation material with one foil side is also called, then waterproofing is not required at all.
In this case, for laying insulation on the surface of the garage door no creation required wooden plank systems (crates), since the high density of this material allows you to directly mount panels on any surface. To fix on a metal gate, you need a good mounting glue, preferably which is designed specifically for such work. Liquid quick setting nails are fine. It is better to choose an import manufacturer, for example, from Germany, to be 100% sure of the quality of the adhesive.
Cut the sheets of extruded polystyrene foam that are the right size and stick to the surface. It is desirable to seal the joints with mounting foam, it can also be used to sticker panels on metal. Then create another layer of plywood, wood planks or plastic panels, which is more like it. You can even glue the wallpaper, but it is advisable then to putty the surface with a cement composition.
Insulation of garage doors with foil foamed polyethylene
The last type of insulation it is used more often in combination with other warming materialsand, for example, with already presented foam and extruded polystyrene foam. Of course, you can apply only one of this material, but if you want a more efficient insulation it is better to combine two options. The insulation is a foamed polyethylene on one side of which a layer of foil. This gives not only excellent thermal insulation, but also good waterproofing. It is most often used precisely for the latter, along with the properties to keep heat well.
In order to insulate and waterproof with foamed polyethylene, lay the material directly on the previously cleaned metal surface of the garage door. In our case, you can simply stick its good adhesive, such as instant "fast nails." The material is quite flexible and easy to go to even the most inaccessible places. If you do not use additional heaters in combination, then the work on insulation from heat loss is completed.
If you combine foil foamed polyethylene with other heaters, then put foam on top of itif you chose it, having previously built a crate or fasten extruded polystyrene foam. After that, you can create another layer of foamed polyethylene in order to achieve maximum thermal insulation and waterproofing too. Get a kind of triple sandwich, which will be a fairly effective barrier to the release of heat from the room. Your garage will be warm and cozy if there is additional heating indoors.
Why is this needed?
The common truth is that the issue is gaining relevance with the approach of winter, because it is time to create the conditions for the preservation of the “iron horse”, inventory, tools, summer cottages and blanks.
Even a corrosion-resistant coating will not protect the machine from dampness and cold, and the consequences will be very deplorable.
As bonuses - deterioration of the interior of the garage, rotting of the wiring, which risks causing a fire, mold, unpleasant odor, a bleak prospect of getting sick.
There are some features that depend on the type of construction of the door. So, for example, it makes sense to warm the swing gates. Their frame consists of profile pipes, and externally they are sheathed with steel sheet. Since this material has high thermal conductivity, such gates are not too effective for heat saving.
Sectional and tilt-up gates do not require additional thermal insulation. The case in such models also consists of sheets of steel, prudently insulated inside with polyurethane.
The presence of a gate in the gate will be extremely useful, which will reduce heat loss with frequent use.
But to warm the rolling gates with all the desire will not work. Their design provides for winding the web on a drum - even with the thinnest insulation, the system can fail.
Choose insulation material
The main thing in the works on thermal insulation of gates is insulation material. Pay attention to the quality and properties of the insulation. Here we have to remember physics - the ability of the body to conduct heat - that is, thermal conductivity. The reduced value is characterized by the coefficient of thermal conductivity.
The lower the coefficient, the greater the likelihood that the material will suit you.
Let's move on to the list of the most common options and their shortcomings:
- Mineral wool (glass wool, stone wool) is fireproof, but not moisture resistant. After wetting it, you can forget about the insulating qualities.
- Polyfoam is light, durable, has low thermal conductivity, but is not fire resistant enough. Ideal for insulating the gates with your own hands.
- Expanded polystyrene (PSB, PSB-S) is a type of foam, one of the few materials that are fire resistant and self-extinguishing, because impregnated with a flame retardant.
- Extruded polystyrene foam (EPS) is fireproof, durable, with very low hygroscopicity.
- Polyurethane foam (foam rubber, rigid polyurethane foam) - a heater that is gradually expanding in volume. It is applied by spraying using special equipment. PPU has high thermal insulation properties, good adhesion, excellent sound and hydroinsulator.
- Penoizol (urea-formaldehyde foam) - a liquid foam that turns into foam when applied. It does not burn and does not smolder. Resistant to moisture, which provides high thermal insulation, is not susceptible to attacks of microorganisms and rodents.
Please note that the choice of insulation also depends on the size and surface material of the door.
The main ways
The procedure for working with a specific insulation is individual. However, in most cases (except for the use of special equipment), insulation can be done independently.
The main options for thermal insulation:
- Frame and shots on goal.
Start by inspecting the frame and sash of the garage door. The rust is cleaned with an iron brush. Then it is necessary to cover or weld all cracks and cracks, which eliminates heat loss and the presence of draft. It is recommended to prime the surface of the gate and treat it with an anticorrosive or antiseptic agent. Special polymer inserts can be fixed on the floor.
- For one or more targets.
Most often, foam slabs are used for such insulation. The material of the second leaf should be the same as for the first - with the same characteristics and thickness.
The insulation must be mounted close to the gate, absolutely leaving no air gap so that condensation does not accumulate.
Polyfoam is stacked in two ways:
- On a metal structure thanks to special glue.
- Between the crate using the frame. You can build a crate of a metal profile, rails, timber.
Sheathed gates and wicket are usually decking or lumber: OSB, MDF, wooden lining, plywood. Optimal solutions are OSB and lining - strong, durable materials that are not afraid of decay.
Wooden lining must be treated with flame retardants and antiseptics.
Garage door insulation includes the following steps:
- Removing stains and dirt.
Identification of defects and damage on the door leaf. Scraping rust and coating cracks. It is made with a brush or grinder.
Application of anticorrosive agents.
- Installation of the crate.
For the frame, traditionally use a wooden beam or metal profile. Mounted on dowels. The crate is fixed on the canvas frame - on the profile pipe or in the corner.
- Placement of insulation between the rails.
Foam boards are fixed with glue. The joints are carefully sealed with sealant or foam.
- Gate trim.
The lining is varnished, the metal material is painted.
How to insulate swing gates
Warming depends directly on the design of the door. So, for swing gates, waterproofing is carried out to avoid corrosion due to the accumulation of condensate. Self-adhesive isolon is often used as a heat insulation material.
The degree of insulation depends on its thickness. To seal more, you can add sheets of polystyrene foam and fix the mounting foam. Expanded polystyrene foam requires external door trim. Extruded is quite durable, so you can just close the seams with foil.
In addition, there are the following methods of enhancing thermal insulation, suitable for different garage structures:
- creating a garage curtain located outside the gate. The material should be selected dense, durable, fire and moisture resistant. Most suitable PVC fabric and tarpaulin, soaked in a water-repellent spray.
- surface treatment with modern methods of insulation: heat-insulating paint or “warm” plaster.
- reduction of the opening area by means of a small gate in it.
As you can see, warming the garage door with your own hands is not a quick process, but absolutely for everyone, if all the instructions are followed correctly.
This publication presents a step-by-step procedure for thermal insulation, the reasons for the insulation of garage doors are reasoned, information on insulation materials is structured (all kinds of foam are leading).
Using our “short course” you will be able to fully apply this for independent work. The integrity and safety of the "iron friend" and autumn blanks are guaranteed!
If our article has helped you, share useful information with others!